Shattered Spiderweb Block

| Quilt Monkey | 105

More scraps to use up? Katy has a funky fabric foundation block to share that will surely lighten your load. Katy shows us how to make a Shattered Spiderweb block that you can build on over the year to make a ‘diary’ quilt or turn it into an great couch pillow. Katy uses Timeless Treasures fabric to make the blocks. Use a quarter inch ruler to mark the seams and a rotary cutter for straight edges! Stay tuned for more Quilt Monkey on QNNtv.com!

Rotary Cutter 45mm           Rotary Cutting Ruler 8″ x 14″             Frixion Heat Erase Pens

1. Why can’t I watch the video? It only lets me watch the trailor.

Linda, 7 months ago Reply

• Linda – This video is available only to paid members. Paid videos come up only for logged in members so you’ll need to log in if you haven’t already. If you’ve already logged in, try logging out and logging back in.

QNNtv.com Staff

Sheyenne, 7 months ago Reply

2. Love this show, and your stuff animal at the end love it.

Vontina, 7 months ago Reply

3. Why don’t you just sew a bunch of strips together, then cut them to the shape you want? I don’t get what advantage this technique is offering, but maybe I am missing something.

SashieGirl, 7 months ago Reply

• Hi SashieGirl,
      the paper adds a foundation – keeping the shape of the block nice and flat and stabilised. You can sew without the foundation piece, and then cut down to size, but you may find you end up with some bubbling – you know, where there’s not a super flat block. Give it a go and let me know how you get on!
      Katy

Katy, 5 months ago Reply

4. I like this show. You explain things so well that it seems that I could definitely do it! I am relatively new at quilting and want to try new things. I recently tried foundation piecing on a crazy quilt pillow front and I like the technique!

Peggy, 7 months ago Reply

5. Why not just sew it to the foundation piece with each seem?

Peggy, 7 months ago Reply

• hey Peggy! You can totally sew each seam to the foundation piece (this is the spiderweb block, yep?) if you prefer, but it adds a heap of bulk to the finished block. and there’s already a lot of seams and bulk with the little strips. Give both ways a try and see which you prefer!
      Katy

Katy, 5 months ago Reply

6. many thanks Katie, guess what I am going to try today! must keep up with your videos as they are so informative, may I also say how I love your new book

Margaret, 6 months ago Reply