English Paper Piecing

| Quilt Monkey | 101

In the first of the series, Katy introduces us to her favorite piecing method – English Paper Piecing. She guides us through different methods of basting hexagons and stitching them together to make a Grandma’s Flower Garden. Katy uses a glue stick to temporarily adhere fabric to the paper, but you can also use pins. Katy shares her handy hints with us, and also deals with common problem solving. Stay tuned for more Quilt Monkey on QNNtv.com!

Materials: A link to download the materials used in this episode will be available after you sign into your account.

1. I have been hooked on Quilty since I picked up an issue last fall. I just finished my first quilt and thanks to Quilt Monkey, my quilting world just became much bigger! I’m going to try this method this evening while I get caught up on Downton Abbey. Thanks for the brilliant introduction! Emma in Ottawa, Canada

Emma, 11 months ago Reply

2. Thanks for the fun video! I will, most definitely give EPP a try:) Looking forward to your next video.

Jeanie, 11 months ago Reply

3. Hey Quilt Monkey! I have been a Katy fan forever! Congrats on your new series at QNNtv! Can’t wait for your next video!
    Sandy S, Headingley, MB Canada

Sandy S, 11 months ago Reply

4. Wow. I thought paper piecing was so difficult. I can’t wait to make a quilt for m bed. Pretty pinks, yellows and greens. Going to collect a few more quarters and getting busy making it. I love the little travel pouch. Take and go while waiting for appointments.

Mary, 11 months ago Reply

5. i am a big fan of your work and blog and signed up for QNNtv because of your new show. i just watched your first video on EPP and am happy i did. i am self-taught and have done a bit of EPP, so that i would consider myself an intermediate, so i wasn’t really expecting to learn anything new…except i did! your knotting technique at the beginning and end of each seam…so simple! thank you so much. looking forward to the next episode. :)

jeanne e., 11 months ago Reply

6. Really enjoyed your tutorial Katy thank you, it’s quite amusing really because I found your blog yesterday via another. I’ll certainly watch out for your next video.

Peg

Peg B, 11 months ago Reply

7. Thanks Katy, very nice tutorial demo. I was wondering how many of those flowers did you use on the black quilt behind you ? Its gorgeous..

Izzy, 11 months ago Reply

8. Thanks Katy, very nice tutorial demo. I was wondering how many of those flowers did you use on the black quilt behind you ? Its gorgeous..Mostly I am refferring to the bigger flower since i see a smaller one as well.

Izzy, 11 months ago Reply

9. Hi Katy,
    Thank you so much for your exciting way to look and do quilting. I have been quilting for only a couple of years now, and you have re-inspired me to me take a shot at paper piecing. It seemed so daunting before, and your new fresh approach to it has given it new light! Thank you for who you are and what you do:)

Jen (A lowly quilter in Winnipeg, MB Canada.)

Jen (Ironquilter), 10 months ago Reply

10. I cannot seem to find the printable page of Hexies, anywhere on QNN or quilt Monkey…Love, love your video

Diane Cormier, 10 months ago Reply

• Hello,

Under the paragraph that is posted beneath the video, you will find this: Materials: Click here to download.
      When you click on the link, it will open a page full of Hexies for you to copy for your pattern.

Shelle

sgoodwin, 10 months ago Reply

• http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/ has free downloadable hexagons and other shapes–and you can make them any size you want. Personally, I use Fiskars one-inch and three-quarter-inch punches and junk mail envelopes and subscription cards to make my paper hexagons. Much quicker than cutting out paper hexies by hand but limited as to sizes available. Take your pick!

Margery, 8 months ago Reply

11. I forgot the t when I posted my question about hexie templates

Diane Cormier, 10 months ago Reply

12. Has anyone else noticed the nailbed they use to hold the corners together getting tender? The first day I felt like I had hit my thumb with a hammer. LOL. Just saying…Be forewarned.

Cynthia Maki, 10 months ago Reply

13. Katy, I really enjoyed watching your EPP technique. Very straight-forward and easy to understand so I’m going to try. (You sound like a very patient teacher). I’ve never tried sewing by hand so this should prove to be interesting for me.
    Thank you ;-) !

Deb in AZ, 10 months ago Reply

14. I am going to give this a try. I am a relatively new quilter, and I am limited as to how much time I can sit at the machine, due to chronic neck pain. But I can do this sitting on the couch with my head and neck supported! And I do enjoy hand sewing. This may be just the thing for me! What a nice and clear teacher you are! I look forward to more of your videos, Katy.

Peggy in MO, 10 months ago Reply

15. Katy, you are brilliant! I’ve had a hexagon piecing kit for a couple of years – I was going about it all wrong until I saw your video on Quilt Monkey. I was practically sewing the hexagons onto the paper – I didn’t think I would ever finish this project. Thanks to you I now know how to actually baste the hexagons and piece them together. Looking forward to all your shows on Quilt Monkey.

Teresa, 9 months ago Reply

16. Is there a pattern for Katy’s “EPP to-go project bag?” It looks so perfect for carrying in the car.

Kathleen, 9 months ago Reply

17. I want to make the quilt behind you on the wall. How do you attach the flowers to the quilt. Anyone know. Do you have instructions we can buy?
    I am loving English paper piecing. Thank you!

Cris, 9 months ago Reply

• Would like to know the answer to this one too

Ann, 8 months ago Reply

• Hi Chris,

I did that quilt as a quiltalong a few years ago on http://www.fatquarterly.com but I’m thinking it’d be a good idea to cover the basic steps on quilt monkey, so watch this space!

Katy

Katy, 7 months ago Reply

• Hey Ann!
        See the comment I left for Chris – it was a quilt along I did but I’m going to re-do it for quilt monkey so get your EPP fingers ready for action! There’s a BUNCH of hand sewing!

Katy

Katy, 7 months ago Reply

18. Katy, please do an episode–or several!–on planning a whole quilt using hexie rosettes, like the one behind you on the wall: Choosing colors, distributing them, etc. I notice that most of the rosettes in the wall quilt have a yellow-family center. Is that necessary for avoiding chaos? I’m charging ahead on my own, but I’ve enjoyed Quilt Monkey episodes so much, I’d really like to know more about your creative process.

Margery, 8 months ago Reply

• Hi Margery,
      yes – the single colour in the centre certainly helps calm things down a little and also gives a bit of cohesion to the full quilt.
      I’m going to do a show on that big quilt at the back later in the series so watch this space!

Katy

Katy, 7 months ago Reply

19. English paper piecing has become my favorite type of patchwork too since I started playing with it a couple years ago. As is work on it each step becomes my favorite part…. I love cutting the hexies or diamonds out of the fabric by hand, then I can’t get enough of the basting, and then they whip together so fast!

I have a question for you though, how do you avoid seeing the tiny stitches between the fabrics? When I hold the two pieces together with pretty sides facing and whip stitch the edge I always get these tiny stitches showing on the right side that drive me a little bonkers. I usually solve this by sewing them placed next to each other and flatter which gives me near invisibility on the right side but does create some bigger not so pretty stitches on the backside and bulk. Any suggestions?

Loving the show!

Lisa, 6 months ago Reply

20. Thanks for great video. I’m going to make a “hexi” travel kit – do you have a pattern for yours? Looks very compact & efficient.
    Blessings to you and yours! Happy Quilting