Make Quilting a Family Business, Part 1

Quilt Out Loud | Episode 311, Part 1 | May 2012

Making quilting a family business is becoming rather common in the quilting industry. Mark Lipinski and Jodie Davis are at Lisa’s Clover Hill Quilt Shop in Berlin, Connecticut where Lisa and Jim Salonia are running a quilt shop together. Mark Lipinski shows his Stars and Stripes quilt which is a Quilts of Valor quilt he designed and made for the PBS special by the same name. Watch for this special episode to air on your local PBS station or better yet, ask them to air it. Jodie Davis goes to the Baby Lock sewing machine to show us how a gadget that comes with most sewing machines to can make an echo stitching star. Use the attachment to sew or quilt perfect lines of stitching.

Click here to view the Episode Notes.

Then watch part 2 as they discuss the couples longarm quilting business.  Click here to purchase the Stars and Stripes quilt pattern.

1. Problem with video/audio sync toward the end of this segment. It runs fine until right after discussion of Christian Lane Quilting. Then video freezes while audio continues to run. Video comes back on at about 18:47, but still out of sync with audio. Audio ends before video ends. I tried getting out and restarting this segment, but it did the same thing. Also checked previously watched segments to be sure it wasn’t a problem with my computer. Everything else worked OK.

Tina LeMaire, 2 years ago Reply

• It’s fixed now Tina. An encoding issue. Oh the intricacies of technology!

jdavis, 2 years ago Reply

2. the video messed up halfway through and never fixed itself and never discussed the 2 people that have the quilting business. the name of the video is misleading and very disappointing after watched.

Norrine, 2 years ago Reply

• Norrine,
      We apologize for the problem with the video. It occured during the encoding process, so it has been re-encoded and is now working.
      Jodie

jdavis, 2 years ago Reply

3. Love the Quilt out Loud and I saw the Quilts of Valor on PBS / Iowa. It was great.

Pat, 2 years ago Reply

4. Quilt out Loud is always inspiring. And more to it being very enjoyable to watch is Mark Lipinski who is always funny and like to bully Jodie Davis. Love watching both of you and keep up with the good work.

Nonie Abdul Salam, 2 years ago Reply

5. Wonderful segment!!! I am a QOV volunteer in deep (wayyy deep!) East Texas and stumbled onto QOV in Facebook and naturally it stole my heart. My brother is still active duty in 1st Cav in Ft. Hood, Texas .

First off, THANK YOU! for the QOV participation! Awesome Pattern too! I can’t wait to get it! I had the honor of getting a special quilt quilted by Ludie Smith who is the quilter that finished Eleanor’s and her Rookie’s quilts! This special quilt will be on exhibit at the HMQS show upcoming this week! Yall be sure to check it out :D (www.servingproject.org) the Serving Project Bus is where the quilt is hung in the front room of the bus.

Are you going to video your presention of your QOV?? I sure do hope so. I know when all of us quilters get the chance to watch the presentations it inspires us to work even harder! I know when we get discouraged or hit life’s little bumps the videos truly get us through

thanks again for all the help!

Giddy

Bridgette Stein, 2 years ago Reply

6. Quilt Out Loud video stopped at about 15 minutes. The voice was there, but no video. #311, I think

sandy, 2 years ago Reply

• It’s working now Sandy. Our apologies!
      Jodie

jdavis, 2 years ago Reply

7. I have joined and am trying to play video “Making Quilting a Family Business”. Directions say click on “play” above….. I can’t find “play” to click on it. Please help

Jevne, 2 years ago Reply

• It isn’t always there. I know, confusing, but such is the nature of video players.
      Put your mouse over the video and a bar will come up at the bottom of it. See an arrow on the left end of the bar that points to the right? Click on that!

jdavis, 2 years ago Reply

8. The “gizmo” is called a seam ripper! Love the show.

Sandi, 2 years ago Reply

9. I am having trouble watching Quilt out loud. It freezes up in the middle of the program. Also the bar at the botton where you enlarge or pause the show will not stay up. Please tell me what is wrong.

Lois Mccoy, 2 years ago Reply

• It’s working fine now Lois. A problem with the conversion of the video, so our guru went back to square 1.
      Jodie