Help With Design Rights: My Quilt or Yours?

| Quilty | 408

Mary talks about the legality issues concerning quilts, quilt patterns and designs and helps you understand whose quilt it is when you make it: yours or the designers? A must-see show for anyone who uses quilt patterns or designs quilts from scratch. Like the patterns on the show? Check out Tree Everlasting, Circle Circus, and Memories Or just get Quilty magazine! Click here for the Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns Mary references in this episode. For more quilting tips and techniques visit HeyQuilty.com and watch free Quilty episodes on QNNtv.com and Quilty’s Facebook!

Check out Quilty on DVD available at ShopQuilty.com!

Quilty Season 1 DVD                Quilty Season 2 DVD              Quilty 2013 Digital Compilation

1. couldnot view came up this video is private-I was logged in !!

Norma, 9 months ago Reply

2. thank you for the information I have to square quilt I haven finish but I will. thank’s

zoraida, 9 months ago Reply

3. Would love to see a follow-up show on selling a quilt made with designer, copyrighted fabric marked “for personal use only.”

Toni, 9 months ago Reply

4. Thanks for this excellent video. It makes me crazy when people don’t credit their longarmer. (I’m not a longarmer. I just think it’s WRONG.) I love to read a sign in a quilt show that says, “This quilt was inspired by a quilt in X magazine designed by Y. I pieced and appliqued it. It was longarm quilted by Z.”

Storystitcher, 9 months ago Reply

5. Thank you for this information. I have always been concerned about this topic.

Barbara, 9 months ago Reply

6. Is there a book like the one you mentioned for applique designs that are in public domain?

Linda, 9 months ago Reply

7. I think you should have pointed out that no one can ‘copyright’ a public domain pattern regardless of what fabric they use. They can copyright their instructions – though really, how many ways can you tell someone how to make a 9 patch?

And please cover the copyrighted fabric. My understanding on this is that you can’t sell a “Brand Name” Quilt but you can sell a quilt made with “brand Name” fabric – the difference being Brand Name has the right to market their own products – but they do not have the right to tell you what you can do with fabric they have sold you. It would be like buying a car & then being told you can’t drive it on certain days or to certain places because that would reflect badly on the company.

Susan, 9 months ago Reply