How to Improvisational Piece with Emily Bruzzini, Part 1

| Quilty | 305

Have you wondered what Improvisational Piecing is? In this free tutorial Mary is joined by Chicago quilter, Emily, to show us how to improvisational piece a quilt. Use strip sets or left over fabric for improv. A design wall can assist in piecing strips together. Have a ruler and rotary cutter handy to square up your blocks!

• Be sure to watch part 2 of this episode!

• Emily’s full article is featured in the March/April issue of Quilty magazine.

• For more fun and easy quilting tips and ideas pick up Quilty the magazine, visit HeyQuilty.com or watch Quilty Season 1 on DVD!

Hint: click on the photos to view Quilty season 1 on DVD and Quilty magazine the March/April issue!

Quilty March April 2013

1. Love the idea of this type of quilt. I am from the old school but this one caught my attention. Can wait to start one!

Jeri Hutchins, 1 year ago Reply

2. What a great a idea! Everyone needs a good kick in the pants sometimes to get their creative juices going. Great show Mary, and thank Emily too! Can’t wait to start.

Jenean, 1 year ago Reply

3. I’ve seen this referred to as crumb quilting because it uses all those leftover “crumbs”. I’m a big frugalista and love this idea. Some quilt stores sell their scraps inexpensively and you can get some great designer fabrics on the cheap as long as you don’t mind small amounts. Very cool

Samantha, 1 year ago Reply

4. Awesome work Emily and Mary! I love the free-ness of this method. Quick edit though, it mentions Ebony Love’s website at the end instead of Emily’s blog.

emedoodle, 1 year ago Reply

5. Now I know why I never throw any scraps away…. I always wait for something like this to come around to try. Believe me I have a “few” scraps to try this idea out on!! Thanks and I will be doing this, and soon.

ester nelson, 1 year ago Reply

6. great idea. I have a ton a scraps which I do not know what to do with. I am going to try and use some for this method and see what I get. Thanks for the idea.

Jeananne Ducharme, 1 year ago Reply

7. LOVE QUILTY

maria linder, 1 year ago Reply

8. Oh wow thank you, I like it and I am going to try it for my baby blankets for charity. God bless you.

Patricia Renderos, 1 year ago Reply

9. Love this one, improve quilts are my favorite to make!!!

Janelle Torgeson, 1 year ago Reply

10. I love this idea. Looks like broken pieces of fabric that have been welded together into stained glass.

@pril @ KoolBeenz Blog, 1 year ago Reply