How To Paper Piece the Airplane Block with Marianne Fons

| Quilty | 303

Learn how to make this insanely popular and easy paper-pieced quilt block with Mary and Marianne. Amelia will be your new favorite quilt block, guaranteed. This fun airplane quilt block from Amelia is featured in Quilty Jan/Feb ’13. For more fantastic quilting tips and ideas visit HeyQuilty.com or watch Quilty Season 1 on DVD!

Hint: Click on the photos to view Quilty Jan/Feb issue and Amelia’s digital pattern!

Amelia Digital Pattern

1. Please tell Ms. Fons to do her hair. Seeing a mess of little balls is very distracting when watching the video. Also she moves too much. She is overly dramatic which is very distracting. Being somewhat dramatic is good, but in a video a little goes along way. She has a tendency to interrupt the guest. I have a hard time watching Quilty due to her behavior and hair. I’m sure she is a very talented, charming lady, but PLEASE make her aware of how she comes across on video.

Cheri Fleming, 1 year ago Reply

• If you don’t like Quilty, then don’t watch it. We like it the way it is. It’s amazing how rude some people can be :(

January, 1 year ago Reply

• I agree, If you dont like Quilty, don’t watch it. This is a Great show. how rude people can be.

Linda, 1 year ago Reply

• sorry, but i LOVE her….don’t change a thing…:)

Sofia, 1 year ago Reply

• Cheri I tend to agree with your statement . I just came across this as I was looking for an airplane pattern for making my grandson a quilt . When I see who was also included in the video I couldn’t bring myself to watch it all the way through … If my statement is rude get over it she is the reason I no longer watch Fons and Porter on Saturday morning on PBS.

Dianna Hamilton, 1 year ago Reply

2. I love Quilty! Mary is bubbly and fund to watch. She has made me enthusiastic about quilting again. Also she has given me courage to try new things.

Thanks Mary, Marianne Liz, Jodi and the whole QNN crew for giving me new life in my hobby.

Mary stay just as you are!

Pam Troxell, 1 year ago Reply

3. I’m trying to view the “Blocks-a-go-go Amelia”, but it is just repeating the “How to make an Ipad case” episode.
    I’m sure Mary’s hair is styled the way she likes it, and I think we all have our own look. Doesn’t distract me at all.

Karen, 1 year ago Reply

4. Don’t change Mary – keep doing what you do.

A, 1 year ago Reply

5. Mary, you are a breath of fresh air..My very,very favorite T. V. Show
    Is Fons and porter!! I’ve been watching the show foe EVER.
    I must confess that I was disappointed when Liz left the show. Afer a couple of shows I was HOOKED. You are pure delight !!!!!!!

How lucky Maryanne is to share her passion with her beautiful
    Daughter.

I’m from the Berkshires, in Ma. My daughter lives in Naperville,Il.
    And I’m in the Windy City 4 times a year. I,m 69 yrs. young and think
    You are the cats meow. Sweet child, Don’T change a thing!!!!!!.

Carolyn lenfest, 1 year ago Reply

• Mary Fons is over dramatic, but that is how she rides this tide. So if y’all don’t like it just stop watching her. Fons and Porter has never been the same without the Guru LIZ, however I have learned to endure the Mother Daughter Fons’ show. I watch to learn techniques,& tricks for faster piecing.
      I DO NOT watch or read Quilty, Ms. Fons’ silliness, & shehasn’tt gotten over the fact she is on TV. Any way Quilty is for beginners.

Carylanne, 1 year ago Reply

6. Same problem. Click on Blocks-a-go-go Amelia” and “I-pad Case” downloads instead. Very odd! Would love to see the airplane block.

rebecca, 1 year ago Reply

7. Thanks for fixing the “Amelia” video.

rebecca, 1 year ago Reply

8. When I watch Quilty, the quality of the picture is not very clear, focus is off somehow. Other programs I watch is much better.

Louise Baker, 1 year ago Reply

9. I love this block(Amelia) the airplane block. And I love Qnntv.I have only been a suscriber for about a week and have learned so much as a beginner quilter. Early onset Parkinsons holds me back a little but with Qnntv,I can attend quilting classes!! I am planning to make this block for my husband (works in aviation) and for my son in law, leaving for 4th tour (quilt of valor). Keep the lessons comming!! As far as Mary’s hair goes…I love it! Mine is same beautiful color!!

eliza, 1 year ago Reply

10. It is an informative demonstration that portrays a mother and daughter hanging out, having a good time….I like these aspects.

Picking on Mary’s hair is petty. I mean really?

Constructive Criticisms:

a. Hand gestures do distract people. When I used to do Tupperware demonstrations I had the same problem. I would notice my audiences heads “bobbing” all over trying to follow my hands instead of really “listening.” When the hands stopped, people payed attention.

b. I did not really notice interruptions. For what is worth though, interrupting is bad. A lady who makes Art Quilting videos does it perpetually ….it did make me stop watching.

c. Some things do not look like what they really are on camera. Marianne’s necklace reads as an upside down cross. LOL, I am sorry…I had to ask my daughter to come look for a second opinion, she agreed.

Encourage your production team to look for these kinds of things and allow them to rescue you.

Maryann, 1 year ago Reply

11. I think the video was great! Thanks for sharing these different techniques.

teri, 1 year ago Reply

12. I think Mary does a wonderful job, The show is lighthearted and very informative, I am a beginner quilter at 55 years young, and I cant wait for a new show each week. I have learned so much. keep up the good work Mary

Cindy Robinson, 1 year ago Reply

13. Mary you are so cute and bubbly. What a treat you are. I met your mom in Salt Lake and she is a doll too. I have NO COMPLAINTS about yoou but I do get a fuzzy picture on the vidios. How can I fix it? Stay the way you are. Im 72 and would love for you to be my granddaughter then I would get your mom too lol.

karroll gates, 1 year ago Reply

14. It took me awhile, but I did get use to Mary instead of Liz. And I agree, Mary don’t change, you are the one to get the younger generation involved and besides I love the mother & daughter routine.

Brenda Johnson, 1 year ago Reply

15. This is the first Quilty episode I have watched. And the last. Mary’s attempts at being cute are an epic fail. As someone said, a little goes a long way. I spent the 10 minutes or so watching this thinking “When will this be over!”

I watched a few episodes of her and her mother’s show and couldn’t bear to watch her constant interruptions and her basic ineptitude. Lets face it–you can’t beat the original Fons & Porter so you shouldn’t try.

If the production staff wants to remain employed, I suggest they do whatever is necessary to correct the flaws. She might be a talented and interesting individual to watch but with all her incessant kerfluffel, who can tell.

It’s not rude to post your opinion in a place that is asking for your comments.

Amethyst, 1 year ago Reply

• Thank you! I wasn’t trying to be rude, just helpful. I spent time in Musical Theatre and a little bit of TV commercials. The mediums are completely different. Very flamboyant for Musical Theatre and much more understated for TV.

I agree it isn’t RUDE to give an opinion when opinions are asked for!

Cheri, 1 year ago Reply

16. Regarding the “fuzzy” videos, I was told this issue is not fixable, even after I switched to Google Chrome at their advice. I was an active member of QNNTV for a couple of years,and then suddenly this began to happen. Sometimes, the video and audio was way out of sync, sometimes just really fuzzy. No one could tell me why this was happening, when for years it was just fine. I’m no longer a member.
    Miss the shows.

Karen, 1 year ago Reply

17. Don’t change a thing. Your great. I learn so much from your show.

Linda, 1 year ago Reply

18. I come here to learn new things and update others. I would suggest personal opinions about the video other than quality of the feed do not belong here. Are you the same folks who critique everyone at church also? Sheesh. wonder how good of a job you would do if this was up to you to do the video? As has been pounded into me since childhood, if you don’t have anything nice to say….
    Was glad to learn a bit more about paper piecing, a challenge i need to take. Thanks.

Frank, 1 year ago Reply

19. Please. People. Really? What are you….13???? Get over yourself. Your opinion does not matter, not here, and something tells me that you have a great deal to say about probably everyone you know…So how about a little tit for tat shall we?? Mary is wonderful. how cruel are you…but as I said…tit for tat: I for one am so very happy that Liz has finally left! I can back up what I’m saying by asking you to just go and watch the episode with Liz and her guest Jane Sassaman. Liz not only talks over every chance she gets, but she also takes over…Sweet Jane was her guest. I think the purpose of a guest is to see what they can teach us…why did Liz ever do any of the guest segments? She seems to already know everything the guest wants to present, and just blurbs out the most annoying (and questionable) info about the guest and/or the guests’ work, leaving us to say “why does this production company allow her to butcher these spots?” In the meantime….keep it up Mary. We love you here in Maine :)

Dee, 1 year ago Reply