How to Set Quilt Pieces on Point!

| Quilty | Episode 238

Mary joins Marianne to talk about setting quilt pieces on point with a special tool called the “Easy Diagonal Sets Ruler“. Don’t forget your glove, mat, and rotary cutter! For more quilting tips and techniques pick up Quilty magazine, visit HeyQuilty.com or watch more Quilty episodes at QNNtv.com or on DVD!

Hint: click on the photos to view the tools Mary and Marianne Fons use in this episode!

1. that is fantastic

Pauline, 2 years ago Reply

2. I want this tool. I love doing on point quilts. Doing the math for the set in triangles is a pain. I usually cut the squares bigger then what I need, then end up trimming off the excess. What a waste. I plan on stopping at JoAnne fabric (that is usually where I find my Fons and Porter stuff) on the way home so I can use it tonight.

CathyLHB54, 2 years ago Reply

3. I just saw the video of the new tryangle. I bought a kit { Tucson Sunset} it has templates to this pattern, will this new tryangle work for this kit? I just don’t want to cut out alot of templates. I bought on fons and portor websit. Hope you can help. Thanks Julie.

Julie Hallquist, 2 years ago Reply

• The angle of the Peaky and Spike templates by Marti (Michell,http://www.frommarti.com/setr.shtml)
      that are noted in the Tucson Sunset project are a different angle than that of the template shown in this video. You can see the fun ideas at her website.
      The Easy Diagonal Sets is made to help cut side setting triangles and corner setting triangles from strips rather than squares.

editor54, 2 years ago Reply

4. I just watched the episode 238 about the “On Point: easy tool for
    setting pieces”. I have the Fons & Porter “Half & Quarter Ruler”.
    How is it different from the Fons & Porter “Easy Diagonal Sets
    Ruler” ?? I’m confused. (not hard for me, Ha) They look like
    they are both triangles.
    Thanks , Laura

Laura, 2 years ago Reply

• The measurements are different for both of these rulers depending on if you are cutting half and quarter square units to piece in blocks, or setting triangles and corner setting triangles,

editor54, 2 years ago Reply

5. Isn’t this just another money getter? Why can’t a quilter simply cut out their own rulers from clear template material? That’s much cheaper than buying all those rulers.

Becky, 2 years ago Reply

• Not everyone can start quilting out of nowhere. I wouldn’t have any idea how to make a template let alone what template I would even need. Thank goodness for the quilters who came before me and figured out an easier way to help us newbies get started on our own. I’m just fine paying for a template that makes my quilting more successful! Thanks Fons and Porter! Thanks Quilty!

Melissa, 6 months ago Reply