Blocks-A-Go-Go: Spinning Star quilt block

| Quilty | Episode 233

Mary and Marianne show you how to make Spinning Star quilt blocks using partial seaming techniques. This quilt block is from Pinwheel Star by Liz Porter. For another quilt utilizing partial seams, check out Gallery Walk in Love of Quilting Sept/Oct ’12. More quilting techniques are available in Quilty magazine or online at HeyQuilty.com.

Pinwheel Star Quilt Pattern         Gallery Walk Digital Pattern         Love of Quilting Sept/Oct 2012

Hint: click the photos to view Love of Quilting September/October 2012, Pinwheel Star Quilt Pattern, Gallery Walk digital pattern, and Quilty on DVD!

1. Love the partial seamed star. Is there somewhere I could get the dimensions for that block? Really enjoy Quilty and the Fons and Porter show on our local PBS station. I especially like the chemistry between you and your mom.

Peggi Carrier, 2 years ago Reply

2. Great show! Very helpful.

Elaine, 2 years ago Reply

3. These two work so well together to really have you understand the block or concept that they are working on, thanks

Karen Burkett, 2 years ago Reply

4. Thank you so much for this show. Have been always afraid to do set in seams, it looked so difficult. Now I have the confidence, it is so easy.

Jenean, 2 years ago Reply

5. Thanks Marys for showing me how to do that- I’ve often stayed away from patterns that called for partial seaming-even though I loved the end result! I’m going to go back and try one of those patterns!

Claudia, 2 years ago Reply

6. I have done this years ago but nice refresher.
    If you shortened the ads and dialogue perhaps your instruction might be longer

diane, 2 years ago Reply

7. Amazingly simple. Who would have thought. Thanks.

LeAnn, 2 years ago Reply

8. Great Tip– I look forward to your video tips on quilting, simple good illustration

Kathy Gatterdum, 2 years ago Reply

9. Where can I get the spinning star block pattern?

Gloria, 2 years ago Reply

10. Where can i find the exact pattern for the spinning star w/partial seamsthat you and your mom made? I love it, both in the prints and also in the shot cottons Marianne used.

Chris, 2 years ago Reply

11. I like the pattern. I’m trying to get a prayer quilt ministry started in my home. There is always so many people hurting in churches and Bible study groups. Even Quilt groups. Thanks for showing us a better way to put pieces together.

Peggy A. White, 2 years ago Reply

12. Thank you! Am working on a quilt that ALL my blocks are done with this partial seeming. It looked pretty easy, but watching this video made it gel.

sheri ketarkus, 2 years ago Reply

13. The more I see, the less I fear. I can do this!

Madonna, 2 years ago Reply

14. Love this!!! Excellent demo

Gail, 2 years ago Reply

15. I like the block. I was wondering what size of pieces did you use to make the block? Great show. I would like to make the vlock

Kim, 2 years ago Reply

16. I like the this block. Is there a pattern to this block.

Pauline, 2 years ago Reply

17. I agree it would be great to have the sizes of the cuts for this block so we could recreate this and try the partial piecing.

Tanya Wilson, 2 years ago Reply

18. I am like EVERYBODY else, I would love to have the pattern to the “Spinning Stars” block along with the instructions on how to set the blocks into a quilt top. I subscribe to your “For the Love Quilting” magazine, and dug out the issue you mentioned that the instructions would be in. The August/September, 2012 magazine.
    All I discovered was the same techniques to “set in” the seams which was the technique shown on the video. PLEASE let us know the quilt dimensions of the block, and how to set the quilt blocks.

Edwina Hutsell, 1 year ago Reply

19. hi – here is a link to the pattern for the Spinning Star, thank you! http://www.shopfonsandporter.com/product/Pinwheel-Star-Digital-Quilt-Pattern/patterns

kloeffelholz, 1 year ago Reply

20. Loved your blog Ive been quilting for years , nice to catch up again

nicole, 1 year ago Reply

21. Do you have a pattern for this block?

Barb Condren, 11 months ago Reply