How to Square Up Quilts with Accuracy

| Quilty | Episode 220

Mary and Marianne Fons demonstrate how to achieve accuracy by measuring a quilt so the borders will fit properly and the quilt will be square. Measure, cut, iron, repeat! Also, watch Part 2 of this episode. For more fantastic quilting tips visit HeyQuilty.com! Be sure to check out the quilt Dream Girl featured in Quilty Winter 2012!

1. I love this segment.

Peggy Paige, 2 years ago Reply

2. You two are so stinkin’ cute!!!! Keep up the great work! XO

Karen, 2 years ago Reply

3. Thanking you so much for this wonderful show . I just love it.

Joan, 2 years ago Reply

4. I appreciate this great tip being a beginning quilter! Thank you!

Jennie P., 2 years ago Reply

5. Why have I never discovered this site before? Loved it – and passed the info on to other members of my quilting group here in Lancashire, England.

Best wishes – Kathryn

Kathryn Warbrick, 2 years ago Reply

6. Thanks for all of the great Quilty shows. Mary, you are the greatest and have learned very well from Marianne. What would we ever do without Marianne?

Elisabeth Wells, 2 years ago Reply

7. I am new to quilting and love all the tips and shows.

Julie Taorei, 2 years ago Reply

8. Thanks for this great segment. I have been quilting for a little while but had a quilt quilted by a longarmer who made the comment that the borders were wavy. I didn’t know what to do about it & now I do. You know it’s not just beginners who need help – we all do. Keep up the great work!

Mary, 2 years ago Reply

9. Will you go over the steps for squaring up when doing mitred corners please?

Pat, 2 years ago Reply

10. This is the way, I do things also. Love, Quilty! Love you Both!!
    Thanks for giving so many tips, Have a wonderful day every day!

Sharon Peters, 2 years ago Reply

11. You mentioned that if you do side borders first it saves fabric….how does that happen? I dont understand it.

thanks

Susie, 2 years ago Reply

12. I adore you both and I’ve been a huge fan of Marianne Fons for years… however I’m going to call you on this one…

I think you might want to clarify a bit your statement about not putting the horizontal borders on first. It takes the same amount of fabric to cover the quilt whether you do the horizontal or the vertical first… did you mean that you might have to cut extra strips to piece them because of the few inches of extra length..or what?

Teresa, 2 years ago Reply

• I was puzzled by this too but I think it means that your side pieces will all be shorter and so your original piece of fabric can be shorter, which would be more economical. The quilt uses the same amount of fabric but cutting the sides longer than the ends might affect the amount you need to purchase in order to cut those longer strips.

Grace, 1 year ago Reply

13. If you want a pieced border do you take the average size and piece that pieced border based on the average of the sides?

Napalil, 2 years ago Reply