Blocks-A-Go-Go: High Street (Shoo Fly quilt block)

| Quilty | Episode 219

Mary Fons demonstrates how to create a Depression-era block called Shoo Fly! This block is featured in High Street from Love of Quilting May/June 2013. It can also be found in Heartstrings and Patchwork Blues. For more fabulous quilting tips and ideas visit HeyQuilty.com or watch more episodes at QNNtv.com or on DVD!

1. Love your Blocks a Go-Go’s! Keep them coming.

Karen, 2 years ago Reply

• Hi Mary,

Just want to let you know how much I enjoy watching your videos. Pretty cool that you’re following in Mom’s footsteps. I’m very active on the Missouri Star Quilt Forum. There are lots of new quilters joining up and some not so new. They often ask quilting questions that you’ve addressed on “Quilty.” I’ve been encouraging them to hop on over here and learn from you. This ruler would be a godsend for some of our quilters who have so much trouble with accurate cutting. Thanks for the free lessons. Good luck with your brand new magazine!

BTW, I’m a seasoned quilter but I still really enjoy watching your videos.

Rebecca kovach, 2 years ago Reply

2. Love “Quilty”! On the GO-GO’s series where do I purchase the special ruler with the sliding yellow guide? I looked at Fons and Porter and did not find it.
    Keep up it. I am a beginner of the beginners.

Harriett Williams

Harriett Williams, 2 years ago Reply

• Harriet! That’s a ruler from our sponsor Guidelines 4 Quilting. Check them out here: http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/

-Rebecca Fons, Quilty Producer

Rebecca Fons, 2 years ago Reply

• THE RULER IS FROM GUIDELINES4QUILTING.COM
      I AM A BEGINNER QUILTER TOO .

SYLVIA, 2 years ago Reply

3. Yes, I want the special ruler as well…where can I find it?

thanks for everything.

-Becki

Becki, 2 years ago Reply

4. I found the ruler here:

Judie Yates, 2 years ago Reply

5. Who makes that material? Love the colors. Would love to make that exact block!

Diane Doiron, 2 years ago Reply

6. Where do we order the special ruler? How neat.

Coralee Cassiday, 2 years ago Reply

7. Love your videos!!! Thanks Mary

Donna, 2 years ago Reply

8. I would like the shoo fly pattern and where to get the material for it that’s in the quilt on the wall behind matt mcshan in the quilty magazine

patty resseman, 2 years ago Reply

9. This is to be forwarded to Mary Fons.
    I am sorry I don’t have facefook etc. so I have to email. I called the store in IA. They said they would forward this. On your Blocks a go go you used a ruler with yellow clips. Your store does not know about this. I have gone to all the quilt stores in my area (Greenville, SC) and they have not heard of it. Where can I purchase this?
    Thanks for your help.
    Harriett Williams
    (beginner of beginners quilter)
    bg.ha.williams@gmail.com 5/22/12

Harriett Williams, 2 years ago Reply

10. I enjoyed the video very much. Just curious, Why did you use the name of the process “shoo fly?” I ask because I grew up in Lancaster, PA where “shoo fly” is a favorite pie. My grandma won prizes with her recipe.

Carole Fromm, 2 years ago Reply

11. For people who do not know how to do the half square, it would have been nice had the author tell ‘us’ the different measurement and how to make them. Thank you- great clip!

Alene Knox, 2 years ago Reply

12. Which are the measurements for the triangles? do we cut a 3 1/2 block and cut it in half? would it turn into a different size?

Silvia, 2 years ago Reply

13. Thank you Mary for the lesson! is helpful for me!

Anna Maria Quagliero, 2 years ago Reply

14. Hi Alene!

I’ve been watching Fons and Porter for years. They are the wonderful ladies who had gotten me back into quilting.

To make a half-square triangle, just add 7/8″ to your desired block and cut it on a diagnal. Hope this helps you out. Also, Fons and Porter have a great ruler for cutting out half square triangles with ease. Check the Fons and Porter site out or just call them.

Gail Bryant, 2 years ago Reply