How to Make a World’s Fair Quilt Block!

| Quilty | Episode 152

Mary shows the process of making a quilt block from a template. Pick up Sampler Quilts & Blocks for quilting inspiration. For more fantastic quilting tips and Ideas pick up Quilty the magazine, visit HeyQuilty.com or watch Quilty Season 1 on DVD! Be sure to check out the magazine Sampler Quilts & Blocks that Mary references in this episode!

1. Hi Mary,
    Just wanted to let you know that the Blocks A Go-Go episodes are awesome! I just received my copy of Quilts and Blocks sampler, and will be trying something new for my next quilt.

Karen, 2 years ago Reply

2. Dear Mary,

I know many patterns are old, but why don’t modern instructions include shortcuts…Like in your World’s Fair block, why would I cut B and C triangles and sew them together when I can make half square triangles much faster and not have to deal with the bias?

Seems like a no-brainer, but the short cuts are usually missing and the dimensions are hard for me to figure out if I try to make up my own shortcuts.

I like to do double pinwheels, but oh my…where can I get the shortcut dimensions for all those triangles? Do a show on that!

Carrie, 2 years ago Reply

3. dearest mary,
    i hope this note finds you well. first and foremost i must tell yuo that i thik your a real hoot. i love that you talk to yourself, laugh at yourself & your mistakes, wear your “quilting” sweater with all the threads on it. I commend you that you are willing to put the real Mary out for all to see. You are a courageous and likeable person. thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. I started quilting 10 years ago and made it through 1 1/2 quilts. well i’m back and i’m finishing my UFO, which i think will have a name with “decade” in it. oh yes, my first instructor told us to name our quilt an include that with our signature.
    thanks
    debi z

debi z, 2 years ago Reply

4. Karen,
    Who’s is the author of Quilts & Blocks Sampler? thanks!

Lauren, 2 years ago Reply

5. Love your show, Mary! Block episodes are my favorites – excited to try this one soon. BTW, “Thread Goober” is my new favorite sewing slang :)

Dana, 2 years ago Reply

6. Thanks so much for the enjoyable video. What is the rule for pressing regarding the center of the block. Quadrant vs rows?

Stephanie Grace, 6 months ago Reply