How to Make a Union Square Quilt Block (Part 1)

Quilty | Part 1: Union Square | Episode 146

Learn how to make a Union Square Quilt Block in this episode.  She found this quilt block from a sampler magazine. Mary shows how to use a special Quarter Inch Seam Marker tool to bisect squares for perfect triangles. Be sure to watch Part 2 of this episode. For more quilting tips and techniques pick up Quilty magazine.

1. Sure enjoyed your episodes. Your new hair style is very cute!!!

Suzanne, 3 years ago Reply

2. Another great show. Very informative. Happy Thanksgiving!

JANIE GIORDANO, 3 years ago Reply

3. Love the hair!
    I’m looking forward to making this block. I really enjoy the blocks-a-gogo segments.

Karen, 3 years ago Reply

4. Where can I find The book Sampler Quilts & Blocks.
    looked on web site, but not listed.

Mary, 3 years ago Reply

• The book is now available at Fons & Porter, it was under the new arrivals.

BeckyB, 2 years ago Reply

5. I love your shows – your enthusiasm is great! I am wondering why you are not teaching how to make half square triangles by putting the differing fabrics right sides together and then sewing the on either side of the hypotenuse and cutting on the hypotenuse after the two seams. ??

You could still use the tool you are showing, save time, and probably make more accurate squares since you would be stabilizing/sewing before cutting the stretchy crosswise grain and then putting through the feed dogs.

Christy, 3 years ago Reply

6. Looking for the magazine that Mary Fons demonstrated magazine is called Sampler Quilts and Blocks. Thank you

Cindy Hammond, 2 years ago Reply

7. Could you tell me were I could purchase the book you used “Sampler Quilts & Blocks” Love you show looking forward to watching them all the time.

Marlene Christophersen, 2 years ago Reply

• It’s now available at Fons & Porter, under new arrivals.

BeckyB, 2 years ago Reply

8. I found the magazine (Sampler Quilts & Blocks) at JoAnn’s Fabrics in January.

Karen, 2 years ago Reply