How to Tie a Quilt

Quilty | Tying a Quilt | Episode 141

Mary demonstrates how to tie a quilt from start to finish. She uses special pins to make the quilt sandwich and basting needles when she ties the quilt. Want to make a baby quilt like Mary’s? Check out Sleepy Baby.For more quilting tips and techniques pick up Quilty magazine, visit HeyQuilty.com or watch more Quilty episodes at QNNtv.com or on DVD!

1. I’ve been tying most of my quilts ’cause that’s how my granny did it.

Vikkilee Reynoldson, 3 years ago Reply

2. It was nice to see the steps to tying a quilt. The Nose tip who would have thought. Thank you for sharing!

Dorothy Anne, 3 years ago Reply

3. Nose grease? Just call it oil from your skin………..sounds less gross! Love your shows, you are great!

Pat Brannon, 3 years ago Reply

4. If you are going to tie a quilt, you should use a polyester batting, for cotton will ball up when washed time after time. My grandmother made one for me, and after several years of washing, it balled up between the tied area and she tied it close together, but she used cotton batting. Also, a curved needle works great to tie with.

Karen Hull, 3 years ago Reply

5. Your video helped me a lot and gave me some good pointers on the right way to tie a quilt. That is all I do to all my quilts.

Arzella, 2 years ago Reply

6. I recently tied a scrappy quilt because I wanted an old-fashioned look. I used a curved needle with heavy gauge red crochet thread. I cut the thread in long strands. This enabled me to tack and then jump to the next location without stopping to cut and tie. Then I went back and cut the threads and tied them. I saw this technique on one of Eleanor Burns TV shows. It was fun and easy.

Ruth, 2 years ago Reply

7. I was watching Dr Oz a while back and he said if you have dry lips, to drag your finger down the crease between the nose and cheek, and rub that oil on your lips! It really works too!

Jenny, 2 years ago Reply

8. In the summer 2012 magazine it says to come to the website for an alternate version to have the ties on the back, but I can’t find it. Thanks for any help you can provide, Judi

judi tyrrell, 1 year ago Reply