How to Finish Appliqué with Satin Stitching

| The Quilters’ Community | Episode 25

Patrick discusses finishing fusible appliqué with satin stitching. For more information on the Quilters’ Community check out Quilter’sNewsletter.com! Watch more episodes at QNNtv.com!

Hint: click the photos to view Patrick Lose’s Quilting Celebrations and digital patterns!

1. So glad to see Patrick use the marker to fill in the small gap areas in the satin stitching on his applique. That’s what I have been doing and I felt like I was cheating. If Patrick does it then it’s OK!

Marilyn Schrader, 1 year ago Reply

• I’ve been doing it for years, Marilyn. These aren’t heirloom or competition quilts we’re making, right? ;-)

Patrick, 1 year ago Reply

2. Loved the tutorial on satin stitching the stars. I’m about to start the stars in the Joy banner and candle mats featured in the Fall/winter 2011 edition of Quilting Celebrations so I’m going to set my laptop up next to my sewing machine for this project! In the tutorial you suggested satin stitching through top, batting and backing in order to save the extra step at the end of the project, but in the magazine, you list the steps; satin stitch the appliques, join the sections, then quilt. Just curious why.

Charlene, 1 year ago Reply

• Hi Charlene – Doing the satin stitching on the quilt top only or as a part of the quilting process is just a matter of preference and I wanted to show this option also. Be sure to give both methods a try and see which is your favorite :)

Patrick, 1 year ago Reply

3. Hi and thank you so much for your pointers! I’m relatively new to using satin stitching as a decorative edging have tried it once, with not great results. Since then have not been keen to do this stitch again but, you’ve given me the confidence to try again. Hopefully with better results. So thank you Patrick and team.

Julie Beard, 1 year ago Reply

• Glad to hear you’ll give it another try, Julie! Good luck :)

Patrick, 1 year ago Reply

4. I love these shows but they just do not load cleanly like Quilty, Quilt Out Loud or The Long Arm Show. Why does it only load about 2 minutes of data and then has to reload. Very herky jerky to view. Love Patrick’s teaching style and would love to watch it sail by like Quilty does.

Verity, 1 year ago Reply