- Gudrun Erla was born and raised in Iceland. She started her company GE Designs there before she moved to Minnesota in 2003. Gudrun has self published over 45 patterns and 6 books since her move to Minnesota and designed 4 fabric collections, licensed for Red Rooster Fabrics. Her line of Quilt As You Go quilt patterns has been very successful as well as her strip pattern line where all the quilts are made from 2-1/2” strips. She has been really busy coming out with some great new products. Gudrun’s fabric designs are rich in color with a stylish touch. Her latest line was introduced at quilt market in Houston and will be in stores in January. It is called Mementos and features pretty florals in different scales along with some great tone on tones, diagonal plaids and stripes. Gudrun designed a pattern to go with the fabric line called Indian Peaks. It features a queen size quilt with two smaller quilts included in the pattern. The pattern format was a brand new introduction at quilt market, it is full color, one large piece of paper folded down like a map to fit into a pattern bag. No more loosing a page from your pattern! Gudrun also introduced another full color pattern in her Quilt As You Go pattern line called Quiltie Trio. It features three different mini projects, a Mini Braid Runner, Mini Blooms Runner and a Mini Medallion. These projects are great for fast little gifts since they take only a couple of hours to make. Gudrun’s fun strip pattern line got two great patterns added to it at market, Strip Search and Strip Joints. These patterns are great, fast and adjustable since the pattern includes three sizes.
Gudrun hasn’t only been busy coming up with new products this fall; a few days after quilt market she hosted her first luxury quilting retreat along with her fellow designer Tracy Trevethan. It was an international retreat sponsored by Husqvarna Viking sewing machines and held at the world renowned Dolce Oak Ridge conference center in Chaska, MN. Twenty Seven of the attendees flew all the way from Iceland to spend a long weekend getting to know American quilters, learning new techniques, sewing on the great Viking Sewing Machines provided and being introduced to the latest products in the quilting world. The retreat received the highest ratings from the attendees when all things were considered, fabulous food, great accommodations and sewing features, fun and relaxed atmosphere that left everybody ready to come back next year.
You can read more about Gudrun’s retreat on her new blog www.gudrun.typepad.com , where she also shares what she is working on, gives sneak peaks on new products and fun things like that.
See more of Gudrun’s designs on www.gequiltdesigns.com
Here are some of Gudrun’s Quilts. Click the image to view a larger version.
- Browse Shows
- Fons & Porter
- Love of Quilting
- Quilting With Fons & Porter
- Sew Many Quilts
- Quilt It
- Quilters Newsletter TV: The Quilter’s Community
- Quilters Newsletter Workshop
- QN Machine Quilting Tips & Techniques
- Quiltmaker’s Block Network
- McCall’s Quilt Along
- Quilt Monkey
- Quilt With the Stars
- More Series…
- Recently Added
- Free Videos