- Debbie is the owner and designer of Calico Carriage Quilt Designs, the original designs that use No Diamonds and No Y seams construction to make traditional quilts in an easy manner with professional results. She introduced her first patterns in 2001 and now has 22 patterns and 5 books. Carpenter’s Star is based on the old Carpenter’s Wheel and was one of the original patterns. It is based on half square triangles and is still one of her best selling patterns. Quilters have won blue ribbons at local quilt shows and the pattern has been used extensively by groups making “Quilts of Valor” for servicemen and women in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Debbie designs for both the beginning and the experienced quilter. She wants the beginning quilter to be able to make a detailed looking quilt by way of the most direct and simplified manner, with the results looking like much more work was entailed. The experienced quilters love her patterns as it allows them to complete a detailed traditional quilt in the minimum amount of time. All quilters will appreciate that the patterns look great in their favorite fabrics.
In 2005 she had the opportunity to film a segment for Simply Quilts on HGTV with Alex Anderson, which featured Debbie demonstrating the steps to making her Shining Star quilt.
2007 Fall Market was the ideal opportunity for Debbie to introduce her newest self published book, Modern Art With Fabric, which is contemporary art for the bed. The book also includes instructions for pillows and wall art. This is a new direction for Debbie’s patterns and is based on component sewing with easy construction and easy to follow, detailed instructions (as is the case with all her patterns and books).
Debbie is busy designing for Spring and for submissions to quilt magazines and working with shops and guilds to do lectures and classes. She began as a teacher and then a designer. Each year her lectures take her further around the country allowing her to enjoy her passion for travel and meeting new quilters. Check her itinerary on the website to see if she will be in your area. In 2006 she retired as a dental hygienist to devote full time to her business. Her home base is in Graham, a small town in north central Texas where her husband is the City Finance Director. She has two sons; the older one is an architect and the younger is a chef who appeared in 2007 on Food Network’s Iron Chef. When not quilting, which is seldom, Debbie loves to cook and entertain.
Debbie’s books and patterns are available through local quilt shops or online at www.calicocarriage.com. Check the website for a free pattern.
Here are some of Debbie’s quilts. Click the image to view a larger version.
- Browse Shows
- Fons & Porter
- Love of Quilting
- Quilting With Fons & Porter
- Sew Many Quilts
- Quilt It
- Quilters Newsletter TV: The Quilter’s Community
- Quilters Newsletter Workshop
- QN Machine Quilting Tips & Techniques
- Quiltmaker’s Block Network
- McCall’s Quilt Along
- Quilt Monkey
- Quilt With the Stars
- More Series…
- Recently Added
- Free Videos